Crossroads Coven is inspired the Witches who were good to me, a Crone, when I was new to the CRAFT.

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Karma as taught by chickens

Raising chickens in the back yard is a great way for Witches to feel connected to the Earth and to become more intimately engaged with the food that sustains our lives. Yet having pets that make breakfast also means that people (even strangers) will begin asking for your eggs. If after you've mucked out the hen house a million times and spent $$ bank $$ on feed/vitamins and fencing, and after the daily care of feeding/watering and talking to your chickens you may feel offended by the many people who want those hard earned eggs of yours for FREE. 

This is where the lessons on Karma come in.

Example #1: My sister eats out a lot and saves all her restaurant toast (and anyone else's toast from the restaurant if she can pry it out of their hands) to donate the food to my hens. She also saves her egg cartons and collects empty egg cartons from her friends to give to me so when I do give away eggs - I have a container to give away that dozen in. 

Example #2: My neighbor Juan has accepted eggs from me but he went way above and beyond to reciprocate and left a bottle of wine on my porch after that first dozen of eggs delivered. (I assured Juan he need not do that - but I really did like the wine he left).

Example #3: All the neighbors, casual friends, and friends of friends who have asked for free eggs, who brag about the high quality of product once they've cooked a dozen, but who never volunteer pay for said eggs and they always ask about my chicken's egg production every time that I see them (hinting that they want MORE). 

Now. Looking at the above three scenarios. Who do you think Karma is most likely to award eggs to?  That's right. Karma is going to give more eggs to my sister and to my neighbor Juan and it's going to avoid giving eggs to all those entitled people who don't support the egg growing mission but who feel entitled to farm fresh eggs anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Karma as taught by chickens

Raising chickens in the back yard is a great way for Witches to feel connected to the Earth and to become more intimately engaged with the f...